Brief history of our Church

On All Saints' Day 1st November 2005, we celebrated the 100th birthday of All Saints' Church and the anniversary of its consecration. The Church was built from funds left by Miss Frederica Elizabeth Perceval in her Will for a 'Church and Tower' to be erected in her father's memory on the site of his old home, and for the Church to be known as 'The Spencer Perceval Memorial Church' The Church took exactly two years to build and cost £15,000!

Spencer Perceval, was born on 1st November, All Saints' Day 1762. He was Prime Minister from 1809 to 1812 and was murdered by an assassin's bullet in the lobby of the House of Commons on May 11, 1812.

The land on which the church is built belonged originally to Elm Grove, the country home of Spencer Perceval and was later given for its present purpose by Leopold de Rothschild. The architect, W.A. Pite, produced a lovely and impressive building. The most striking features of the exterior are the recessed East window and the tower at the West end attached to the North aisle instead of to the nave, as is more usual.

Internally the omission of a chancel arch gives unbroken length to the whole stretch of roof from East to West and an overall sense of scale. We have an unusual pulpit of wrought iron and copper, with enamel medallions showing Our Lord in a central panel and below, Adam & Eve in the Garden of Eden.

Follow this link to see some photographs of our church today.

 
A Parish in Ealing Deanery